I made this for Sunday lunch last week……..it was very good and I’m still eating it!!
- 100g soft butter & 125g caster sugar
- 450g crustless sliced (1cm) white bread
- 3 eggs & 1 egg yolk
- 300ml whole milk & 200ml double cream
- 200ml gin & tonic marmalade
- 100g goji or cranberries
- 1 tsp vanilla/almond extract & 100ml gin (any really)
- Brown sugar to sprinkle on top to finish
- Butter an ovenproof (2 litre capacity) dish.
- Butter bread on both sides and cut into squares/triangles to best fit the dish.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, egg yolk and sugar. Stir in milk, cream, gin & vanilla.
- Line bottom of dish with bread slices. Cover with gin & tonic marmalade and a sprinkle of goji/other berries. Spoon on a third of the gin custard to fully soak into the bread. Repeat the process. Finish rest of the bread and pour all remaining gin mixture into the dish. Leave to stand for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180*. Press down on surface of bread to make sure all mixture has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle sugar on surface. Place dish in oven and pour some boiling water into roasting dish to ensure pudding remains moist during cooking.
- Bake for 25 mins then turn oven up to 200* and bake for further 15 mins.
- Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving.